stone is a natural substrate and is formed over millions of years of sedimentary and metamorphic processes – fossilized deposits, like fern spore and partially formed crystals, are often apparent.
we cannot guarantee exact replicas of colour and markings of the sample surfaces at our showroom – surfaces on display can be purchased, please discuss with sales assistant.
STONE IS SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY. PLEASE ENQUIRE AS TO AVAILABLE STONE.
stone surfaces are NOT attached to the table frames – they simply rest on them.
when correctly centred the natural weight is sufficient to prevent it from moving.
please ensure that the person cleaning the table or area around it is aware of this. most breakages, especially of smaller surfaces, occur during cleaning or moving.
sandstone – naboomspruit classic
sandstone is a dense fine-grained sedimentary stone supplied from local quarries in mpumalanga.
the colour is a subtle spectrum of ochre, light brown, grey and rose and varies according to the depth of the quarry.
the markings or pattern are determined by the cut.
sandstone is a neutral substance i.e. does not react to acidic related substances, but it is very porous.
limestone – galala- currently unavailable
a partly metamorphasised dense limestone imported from egypt, rich creamy white in colour with ‘marble-like’ veins of grey and rust.
limestone contains interesting fossilized inclusions and characteristic surface fissures are visible, these are not considered to be structurally defective and are unavoidable on large surfaces.
limestone is an alkyd substance i.e. spillage of an acidic substance like wine and lemon juice on unsealed stone will leave an etch mark.
stone surfaces are sealed at our factory with a penetrating sealant to help prevent stains. to maintain the integrity of this seal we recommend a regular application of BELLINZONI SPRAY POLISH which will be added to your order.
always clean the table surface after meals with a damp cloth and wipe up spillages promptly.
wash the stone often with WATER OR very dilute PRONATURE PLANT SOAP DO NOT use harsh scouring cleaning material and strong detergents – they will compromise the life of the seal
stone will benefit greatly from regular (weekly) spraying with the garden hose. this eliminates fine deposits of dirt that accumulate in the ‘micro- geography’ of the stone.
wetting the stone helps to determine whether the seal is intact. if the colour of the stone remains unchanged and the water pearls in droplets on the surface then it is a well sealed surface. if the stone darkens, absorbing the water, then the seal is compromised and starting to deteriorate. follow the procedure for sealing below.
application of spray polish
apply BELLINZONI SPRAY POLISH sparingly but regularly with a soft cloth.
home or domestic use – 1 x 2 month
commercial use – 1 x 1 month
NOTE unsealed stone will acquire marks from spillage, but these will fade with exposure to the weather. the cleaning process will soften marks as the substrate. takes on a patina of time and a history of long remembered meals.
recommended product – thick jik, available from your local supermarket.
- to remove stubborn marks use a strong house hold cleaner like thick jik.
- apply and allow it to lie on the surface to penetrate. Scour the whole surface and edge thoroughly with scotch brite pads in small over-lapping circular movements.
- wash thoroughly with clean water. remove excess water then dry the surface with a cloth.
if this method does not remove stains an industrial cleaner can be ordered from us.
recommended product – bellinzoni ultra stripper – please contact us to order
directions for bellinsonzi ultrastripper
dilute 5 – 10% of the product in water (50 – 100 ml in 1 litre); apply with a brush and scrub. ig some residue is still left, repeat the operation. rinse the stone thoroughly with clean water to avoid the drying dirt settling again in the joints and gaps.
recommend product – Bellinzoni Limesealer. please contact us to order
NOTE This is a wet and messy process and is best done in a shaded, protected area
- remove any dirt and the residue of old sealer BEFORE applying the new sealer
- if available clean the stone with a high pressure water hose.
- for stains and embedded dirt or mould follow the relevant cleaning instructions
- ONLY apply stone sealer when the surface is 100% dry.
- spread sealer evenly over the whole surface with a flat sponge or cloth.
- NOTE large surfaces will require 2 people working together.
- apply a 2nd coat of stone sealer before the 1st coat dries – this is a wet on wet process. Wipe up the excess sealant thoroughly to avoid application marks.
- allow 12 hours to cure before using – maintain the surface as advised with the bellinzoni spray polish
stone surfaces are NOT attached to the table frames for easier installation and moving. when moving or relocating large stone surfaces make sure of the following
- stone should be dry, they are 50% heavier and vulnerable when wet.
- stone must be evenly supported along the length when it is carried. i.e. have enough men …or women all round…. but never 2 macho men on either end of a long one!
- transporting by vehicle – horizontally – the surface should be 100% flat on the bed of the vehicle OR vertically with 100% of the length of the edge flat on the bed and secured to the side of the vehicle.
- use suitable protection – blankets work well.
- when moving to remote areas on dirt roads or exporting and shipping, it is advisable to crate the stone. contact us for acquiring a good quality reinforced cardboard crate from REBUL
HEAR YE NOW GOOD PEOPLE….
hot pots – do not place directly on table surfaces.
pot plants – always use a drip tray and lift and clean underneath them.
earthenware crockery – if rough underneath they will scratch the surface if dragged across it.
candle wax – cover with thick brown paper and apply a warm iron – the paper will absorb the wax.
bird droppings – first moisten with water and clean with a damp cloth.
fruit trees – avoid placing tables under these if possible or cover during fruiting season.
wine, coffee, oil etc. – wipe these spillages when they occur and clean as recommended.