hope products are manufactured from ancient and natural earth elements: iron (steel), timber and stone. these are natural resources which are costly to process – they need to be used and conserved responsibly. time has shown that these elements have the ability to withstand the weathering effects of nature for prolonged periods. they have the tendency to age pleasingly – in time they will be re-used, if neglected they can be restored and recycled and ultimately, if abandoned, disintegrate and return to the earth.
hope products are simple, robust, well made and capable of a long life outdoors. they are however NOT maintenance free, but unlike most other modern disposable products, they are maintainable. we would like to encourage you to look after your purchase and have a long and enduring relationship with them. this information contains our recommendations to maintain and prolong the life span of our products. it is based on our experience of making this product for the past 23 years and on the maintenance of our showroom samples (which live permanently outside), using some of the same care products for the past 17 years.
NOTE: the performance of various finishes will differ according to the climate that the furniture is exposed to. a maintenance kit has been provided with care products – these are specific to the finish on your order and will contain some of the following items.
folding metal frames
all chairs, benches and recliners are designed to fold. this enables them to be stored when periods of seasonal / inclement weather prevent their daily use.
on delivery you will nd the folding facility on the chairs quite stiff. this is due to the process of riveting the the components together during assembly. they will loosen with time and use and will eventually need tightening.
maintenance – frames
oiling 4 x a year (seasonally)
• regular oiling is recommended on ALL finishes.
• use a lubricating oil (like 3-in-one) on all the articulating rivet points.
• gently fold and unfold the product.
• if you have neglected to oil and fold the product for a long period, apply oil and allow to stand for a few hours before attempting to fold it.
failure to oil the articulating joints will impede the folding mechanism.
do not attempt to fold any products that have not been folded for a long period. force folding the product will result in distortion of the metal frame and breakage.
metal table surfaces
these are made with electro-galvanised sheet metal.
hand painted with 2 coats of an oil based enamel paint or powder coated.
be aware that metal table surfaces are prone to scratching and chipping especially in commercial use.
the table surface is vulnerable to corrosion if the paint is damaged, especially on the table edge.
maintenance – table surfaces
painting – when damaged
• scour the surface rmly with the scotch brite scourers or fine sandpaper to remove any corrosion and to flatten deep paint damage.
• wipe the surface clean with a cloth. if areas of bare metal are exposed, prime these with an etch primer.
• apply 1 or 2 coats of a non-drip enamel paint (plascon velvaglo) with a soft sponge roller to the whole surface.
NOTE do not attempt to repair powder coated finishes